WAB (Wake Alternative Break) is a week long alternative spring break program for Wake Forest University undergraduates. This academic year, WAB took place during March 5-11, 2017. Through WAB, students had the opportunity to travel to cities in the United States within driving distance. During the week, students focused on a particular social justice issues; engage in readings, reflections, and blogging; and participated in direct service. Here is what some of the students had to say of their experiences;

“My 1st day of my Civil Rights WAB experience has been eventful. Our first trip was to the Civil Rights museum at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, TN. As a self-proclaimed history buff, I was very excited to see the exhibits at the museum. However, I was underwhelmed when I saw the 1st couple of exhibits. I was underwhelmed because the museum started with the history of slavery and I expected the museum to focus around the Civil Rights Era. I’m glad that I kept an open mind because the museum ended up meeting my expectations. I was pleased to learn more details about Dr. King’s visit to Memphis before his assassination. The workshop on power was also very helpful. Learning the 6 steps of Kingian non-violence helped me see how King’s teachings can be put into place today.” 

“We spent our Friday at the Southern Education Foundation, the Center for Civil and Human Rights, and then Ponce City Market for dinner. I loved being at the SEF and hearing from black professionals who care about social justice and advocate for education reform. It really inspired me to ensure that I spend my life doing something I am passionate about. I also loved getting the global perspective on human rights because, of course, our trip has been focused on civil rights mainly in the southeast U.S. I loved being in the city of Atlanta!”

To read more stories, Please visit the Wake Alternative Break Tumblr Page.